Friday 27 January 2012

What are we going to do now?

So now I had my dream riser it was time to set it up and get it tuned. At home I took some time and made sure the centre shot was right and set a knocking height about 5mm above the rest and set the rest so that my nice new Easton Lightspeeds sat nicely with the button touching the centre of the shaft. So the first thing I did was to get one of the other members down at my club to check out that I had set up the bow correctly and had not done anything silly. Then I got all set up and put a boss out at 10m and then got to shoot my first arrow, I was rewarded with a nice thrumm-thunk and wow that was so cool I was grinning like a village idiot, it made my winstar feel like a bucking bronco by comparison. Once I had got over the initial excitement it was time to look at what it was doing and do some fine tuning. The big issue was my groups had gotten much too big in fact they were only groups in the widest sence and I mean widest. After a bit of testing it turned out that the lightspeeds were quite a bit too stiff and I changed to a set of Sky Art Sapphires with a weaker spine and that was that sorted. The only other inital problem I had was an issue with clearance, with the fletchings catching on the top of the handel and the bottom of the sight window. I had thought that the Sky Arts being thinner than the Lightspeeds would solve the problem but they did not and I almost resorted to bending up the arrow rest the increase clearance (NEVER DO THAT!), it was then that I found out you can loosen off the two screws that hold the rest in position get about 5mm of vertical movment, once again job done.
 At this point I will point out the biggest weakness of the Spigarelli......the manual, it was I am sure originally written in Italian and then I think an early 90s translation  program was let loose on it, it really is abysmal and if  you are novice you really do not stand a chance . So that was that one Spigarelli Revolution all set up and ready to shoot.

If you are reading this blog and have any questions or hints and tips about the Revolution or archery in general please do post them in the comments and I will include them in the blog.

Tony G

5 comments:

  1. Hi - I have acquired one recently without the manual, any chance you could scan or copy it for me please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,
    you are using a Shibuya DX button. But which spring do you use?

    Manfred

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manfred, yes I am using the DX button and from memory I am using the medium one, but which one you go for will depend on your arrows and to a degree your release. As with so much in archery you really have to try and see what works for you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Tony. You're right. Everything is individual.
      But for me it's off and on interesting to see what others are using or doing and to see if there is a certain commonality.

      Delete
    2. Hello Manfred,
      I just got my Spigarelli 25" Barebow a few weeks ago, with #36 MyBo Synergy limbs. I first shot with a cheaper button and just got me a DX plunger, it is soo much smoother! I use the soft spring with the supplied Delrin tip. I expect to need to adjust the DX a few more times to match a new carbon arrow I am thinking about using (800 or 900 spine). I keep you posted once I got my new arrows together.

      Delete