Friday 10 January 2014

OK lets sort out this grip (Part One)

So let's see if this works, the first thing I did was remove the grip by undoing the single screw that holds it on, I then cleaned the area of the risers under the grip to remove any grease. I then applied a layer of Sugru about 2mm think over the area.

Next I covered the area with a layer of cling film to stop the handle sticking to the Sugru (it is fairly easy to get of non porous material but can be a real pain on wood the like) so that I can still remove it when I want. Next I put the grip back on and pressed in down firmly to form the layer of Sugru and line up the fixing screw, which I then put back in.

So in theory that's it job done, the Sugru will normally take about twenty four hours to cure (2 mm thickness if it was thicker it would take longer) and will then be like a layer of rubber firmly fixed to the riser. Well I did that last night so tonight when I get in from work I can have a look and see how it is doing, I am expecting it to take a bit longer to cure because it is tucked away under the clingfilm and the grip but we will see and I will report back. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds excellent........
    On mine, I got one of those small plastic stick on arrow rests, cut the tang (rest bit) off and slid the plastic square under the handle. (Well, twixt handle and riser...?) To date has been rock solid.
    5 mins and a few pence.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always some bright spark who has to come up with a simpler solution. I didn't get a chance to look at it last night so it will have to wait until this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno...yours looks very neat and effective: we'll see how long mine remains ok?

      Delete