Thursday 10 July 2014

Loose screws and funny sizes

Grr a bit of a frustrating day yesterday, first off I could not shoot straight to save my life, really I was missing at 60 yards and even shooting over the boss!

Secondly and what might have put me in a fowl mood, I received my bare bow weight from AS Spigarelli on Tuesday, not bad as I only ordered it on Friday from the factory in Italy, which I did because all the UK stockists were quoting four week plus for a special order. So yesterday morning I thought I would fi it before I went to the club and then see how it effected the bow, I would have put it on the evening before but I had to do a quick repair on our shower, which the wife thought was more important than my bow?
Any way Wednesday morning I got all ready to fit the weight to my bow but then found that I didn't have an allen key to fit the bolts, it turns out that they will be an AF size as are the threads on the stabiliser bushings. So after going through every allen key in my house and shed I gave up and will have to get a set of AF keys.

The next fun thing happened at the club, after fitting my limbs and stringing my bow I gave the string a little twang and to my surprise the bow had quite a rattle, the same rattle that I usually tell people is my sight....hmmm. After a bit of twanging while holding the rest still and listening to various areas of the bow I narrowed the source of the noise to the top half of the riser. Now I was a little bit concerned so quickly unstrung my bow and got out my tools and started checking nuts and bolts. Well what I found was that after about three years of shooting it the top three fixings were loose. That's the nut and bolt type at the very top and the next two, the riser was not coming apart an the loosest (the one at the end) was still more than finger tight but they had moved. The easiest way to see how tight they should be done up is to check the to see how far in the others are done up. So a quick few turns and everything was back as it should be and  guess what?.........My sight doesn't rattle any more. 

2 comments:

  1. S' funny that...well not really, it's irritating...but yesterday I got to shoot for the first time in a few weeks: took care setting up the bow, and have become "precious" about it's quietness...
    So; on a precursory "twang", I too had a buzz, that I couldn't eliminate...even one or two others stuck their ears to my Latin lovely! I took bits off and back on (sights, clickers, rests, et al) only to find eventually a little screw holding the sight mount was slightly loose. On tightening, neither did my sight rattle (!!) and normal quiet shooting followed...apart from my mutterings as usual following a bad shot!!

    Those nut and bolt fixings you referred to...don't they have a specific setting or torque?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just looked a the ones that were still tight and with the two lower bolts just did y=them up until they were the same depth looking where they come through to the back of the bow and with the end bolt with the nut again until there was the same length of bolt showing through the nut.
      If that make ssense.

      Delete